Address : 1312 Park St, Bloomington, Illinois , USA
Contact : +1 309-556-1000 Email :
About University: Illinois Wesleyan University is an independent undergraduate liberal arts college located in Bloomington, Illinois. Founded in 1850, the central portion of the present campus was acquired in 1854 with the first building erected in 1856. It comprises 17 academic departments offering 50 majors and 476 courses.
The University's mission is to foster the traditional liberal arts of creativity, character, and knowledge. Its motto – Scientia et sapientia, or "Knowledge and wisdom" – was coined by famed explorer and Wesleyan Professor John Wesley Powell.
International Student Admission Requirements
• Official school transcripts showing a secondary school/college background that would indicate a high probability of success at Illinois Wesleyan both in terms of grades received and types of courses completed.
• An official score report of either the SAT or ACT is required for admission, as well as scholarship consideration.
• TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for students whose first language is not English. A minimum IELTS 6.5 band score or TOEFL score of 80 iBT (Internet-based). An official TOEFL score report should be sent to us directly from ETS. Scores more than two years old will not be accepted.
• At least one letter of recommendation, in English, from a teacher who can attest to your academic ability and English language ability in terms of reading comprehension, listening and speaking.
International Student Application Checklist
• There is no application fee.
• Request official copies of your academic records from all secondary schools and colleges in which you are currently enrolled or have previously attended. Academic records need to be in English and notarized. Applicants from British-Patterned Educational Systems should present the General Certificate of Education, Ordinary (O) Level, Advanced (A) Level or the Higher Education Certificate.
• SAT or ACT scores. In addition, if English is not your first language, IELTS or TOEFL scores are also required. We do not require any SAT Subject Tests. Official copies of test score reports should be sent directly to our Office of International Admissions by the respective testing agencies.
• Request one letter of recommendation in English from a teacher or college counselor who can attest to your academic ability and English language ability in terms of reading comprehension, listening and speaking.
• Writing sample/personal essay
• Audition CD or DVD (if you are applying to the School of Music or School of Theatre Arts)
• Portfolio (if you are applying to the School of Art)
• A clearly readable photocopy of your passport, which is required to apply for a student visa. If you do not have a current passport, please notify us.
International Student Entrance Exams
The international application for admission to Illinois Wesleyan requires official copies of the SAT or ACT scores, as well as an official copy of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores for students whose first language is not English.
Illinois Wesleyan University College Board code for the SAT: 1320
Illinois Wesleyan University code for the ACT: 1044
Illinois Wesleyan does not offer English as a Second Language (ESL) courses. Therefore, all international applicants whose first or native language is not English are required to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). (Note: Students who have received a significant amount of their academic instruction in English may be exempt from further English proficiency requirements, but are required to submit their school’s academic profile with their official transcripts for consideration.)
A minimum IELTS 6.5 band score or TOEFL score of 80 iBT (or 550 paper-based) is required for admission to Illinois Wesleyan University. TOEFL scores more than two years old will not be accepted. We prefer that the scores be sent directly to Illinois Wesleyan from ETS; however, if a copy is mailed, it must be certified by a school official as an official copy of the original.